Sunday, August 29, 2010

I told you it wasn't a new idea!

I honestly don't know if I could go a year, or a week, without buying clothes. While I've spent this past year not buying anything new, this gal spent the last year not buying new clothes.


The difference between me and Sally, besides the not buying new thing, is that I allow myself to buy all the clothes I want as long as they're used. Is one way better than the other? My philosophy on this whole little project of mine is that buying used is fine because I'm not buying new things. I'm buying things that are already in the consumer stream. The things I buy are already out in the world. These items could sit in the used store or in my house - it's six of one, half-a-dozen of another. But is it, really?

Maybe it is better to not buy anything? I know I've saved some cash these past eight months. While I haven't actually tracked it, I know I've saved at least $1000 which was the balance on my Macy's credit card before I paid it off in January. That $1000 was all clothes. I used to go to Macy's when I had a bad day or felt that pang to buy something, anything, to make the day a little more interesting. I haven't been in a Macy's in all of 2010 - and I don't miss it one little bit. It also felt awesome to pay off that card!

Sally estimates her savings over the past year at $5000. That's not only a savings for her of $5000, that's $5000 worth of new items that weren't purchased at all. While I'm buying used, I'm still buying. Either way, I feel like Sally and I might have the right idea. Trying hard to not be a high mass consumer, no matter what tack you take, can't be bad for the world. Go through a thought process before you make a purchase; think about the use of the item, do you really need it, is this a necessary purchase, how will this enhance my life? Buying consciously instead of unconsciously, like a drone, is what I'm getting at here.

By the way, I'll be traveling to the Junk Jaunt in September. 300 miles of garage sales!




No comments:

Post a Comment