Friday, January 24, 2020

Eating the Whole Cow

I've been thinking about how I've resurrected this blog, and well, thinking about how boring it is. I've already run out of things to write about as it pertains to buying or not buying and let's be honest, it's just not that interesting. A decade ago when I decided to not buy anything new, it was sort of a new thing. While there were certainly resale stores and the like, it wasn't hipster like it is now. There are The Minimalists, sparking joy with Marie Kondo, and a new trend where you travel without luggage. Like why? That's like eating head cheese or beef tongue. Haven't we progressed as a society past eating the entire cow? Hey, you do you, but I think we've moved beyond eating food we don't need to in order to survive. And traveling without something to put your toothbrush and magical travel totems into is just silly. For fuck's sake, we have luggage on 360 wheels now! It's a brand new day, people. The movement to use and consume less has spawned a cottage industry of its own. Only in America do we decide to consume less and then monetize it. I mean, really.

After talking to a wise friend, the same friend who wondered why I wanted to deprive myself, I realized that what I really want to do is write, and I think I started up this blog again as an excuse to do so. Like most dedicated, life-long readers, albeit slow in my case, I've  thought of writing a book. Not sure what kind of a book, but a book nonetheless. I started college at Michigan State a declared journalism major and would've graduated with that degree had I not gotten sidetracked by a very mean and petty man trying to teach me a lesson, which is a story for another day. So, I'm going to come clean and declare that I just want to write about stuff, and I'm going to use this blog as an excuse to get into the habit. And because I like a challenge, I will continue to not buy anything new or used and unnecessary, and I might write about that too. I've gone most of January without buying anything new and I've gotta tell ya, it's not that hard.

I'll try to be open and share the odd, and usually funny, things that happen in my world while I practice this writing thing. I've been heartened by friends supporting this endeavor. Like Amy, who sent me a card so I'd get mail without having to buy something to get it - so sweet! And my friend Ann, who offered to let me borrow new books from her so I didn't have to wait for a used paperback. Pure goodness! I'm not going to limit myself and only write about my purchasing habits. They're just not that interesting. I do however, have a pretty interesting life and I'm going to try and share it with you. Believe me, I have no illusions about you continuing to read this blog, but I'd love it if you would. Please share your thoughts with me if so moved, I want to hear about your lives, too.


1 comment:

  1. I think the challenge is working exactly how it was mean to be...to help you discover more about yourself. What’s not to like about that ride?

    ReplyDelete